I had visions of these donuts being red white and blue for the Fourth of July. They were going to be so cute and patriotic. So I microwaved the blueberries and ~apparently~ they turn red and not even slightly blue. Womp womp.
So here are some very red donuts for the Fourth with blueberries on top so that they’re actually patritioc-ish.
Red Velvet Donuts
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup oat flour
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 Tbsp beet powder
3 Tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup applesauce
1 egg white
1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a donut tray.
- Mix the dry ingredients, and then add the applesauce, egg white, and vinegar.
- Pour (or really plop because it’s kind of thick) the batter into the tray, and then smooth it out with your fingers. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
For the White Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup cocoa butter
3 Tbsp coconut oil
3 Tbsp sugar (I used white so it wouldn’t be too beige, but you can use any kind)
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp blueberries
- Microwave the blueberries for 40 seconds or until liquidy. Set aside.
- In a double boiler*, melt the cocoa butter and coconut oil. Then, add the sugar and allow to melt.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 to make sure the sugar doesn’t settle.
- Remove from the refrigerator and continue to stir every 5 minutes, watching closely. It solidifies quickly, so be careful! You want to use it when it is thick but pourable.
- Pour the blueberries through a strainer so that you are left with just the juice. Swirl into the white chocolate, and then spread onto the donuts.
*To make a double boiler, place a metal bowl over a pot of boiling water. Make sure the water does not reach the bottom of the bowl!